Friday, January 2, 2009

A Turf Fire

Having a long Irish genealogy, I have a great deal if interest in Irish history, music, culture, and the like. That being said, I received a rather unique Christmas present this year, a large box of peat bricks, also known as turf.

According to my research, the first written records of peat being used as a fuel dates back to 7th century Ireland, although the first usage undoubtedly predates that by quite a bit. For use as a fuel peat is cut from the bog, generally in spring, stacked, and allowed to dry over the summer. The peat I received was manufactured by Bord na Mona (http://www.bnm.ie/fuels/index.jsp?&pID=306&nID=310) and came from www.irishpeat.com .

Having experimented last night with a few bricks of peat, and several newspapers (I'm not kidding) to get it lit... I started out with a wood fire today and once we had a good bed of coals, stacked the peat in a 2 by 2 by 2 pile, alternating the bricks 90 degrees. Even sitting over a bed of glowing red coals it took quite awhile to get going, perhaps an hour to an hour and a half before we had a bit flame.

It seems to burn cooler than wood, at least that's what I'm guessing as the flame is not bright and the burning peat glows a dark cherry red, but throws quite a bit of heat and a lot more evenly than wood. Overall I'd have to say it's a better fuel than wood, requiring less fuss, once it's going you can pretty much ignore it, and my little pile burned for about eight hours.

The aroma of burning peat is considered to be quite a distinct and unforgettable scent. The smoke is not as acrid as wood smoke, and the smell is faintly sour with nutty overtones (Geez, sounds like I'm describing a wine). It is the scent of Irish cottages and pubs, and not at all unpleasant. The scent was somewhat familiar, so I am guessing that I've smelled it before, my best guess was that I probably was around a peat fire in the Cotswold's, although unaware of it at the time.

As a fuel, it is a low-sulphur, low-smoke fuel and in Ireland, can be burned in places that wood and coal can not. While not a true cut of turf, the Bord na Mona peat has been processed and ground and remanufactured into briquettes, it at least gives a good impression of what a true turf fire is like. I can't imagine trying to start a true brick of turf, as difficult as these were to get going they are supposed to be easier to light than pure turf.

All in all an interesting memory with which to start this new year, just wish I had a draught Guinness to go with it.

Slainte

~Finntann~

No comments:

Post a Comment